Gardening is such a passion of mine but sometimes it drives me crazy. Like when my zucchini plants explode all of a sudden and produce 6 baseball bat sized zucchini every other day. I’ve had to give some of them away, we just can’t keep up! We’ve eaten zucchini just about every night this summer in various forms: spiralized zucchini pasta with sauce, roasted zucchini, grilled zucchini, zucchini bread and zucchini muffins. These ones are just about 100% guilt free. They are made with whole wheat flour and are completely vegan. There is not very much sugar in there, either. I was inspired by this recipe that I found, and adapted it into my own muffin variation. I changed a few things because when I made the recipe as-is, it was too sticky and moist due to the orange glaze. This muffin adaptation is just right. They are fluffy and moist with a hint of citrus and some texture due to the oats and walnuts.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup AP flour
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 tsp salt, scant
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- zest of one orange
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp orange juice
- 3/4 cup quaker oats
- ⅓ cup walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin tin with nonstick baking spray.
- Grate one large zucchini. You will need 2 cups worth of grated zucchini, all in all. Place the grated zucchini in a bowl and set aside. You will want to squeeze the liquid out of it as best as you can before adding it to the batter.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the fours, oats, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, zest the orange and also squeeze 2 Tbsp juice out of the orange, adding it to the bowl as well. Add the applesauce, vanilla, coconut oil (melted) and sugar. Stir well.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, mixing just until combined. Fold in the grated zucchini and walnuts, if desired.
- Spoon into the muffin tins. Sprinkle about a tsp of additional oats on top of each muffin. Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the muffin tin on baking rack for 15 mins or so before removing the muffins from the tin. Enjoy warm with a pad of butter or cold as a grab and go snack!