First just let me say that I’m so proud this experiment turned out! Totally winged it and these dog treats came out exactly the way I wanted: nice and crunchy and tasty for my Bassets. Here is the fall inspired recipe, ready for you to try for your own pooch:
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup quaker oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- dash cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- A drizzle of water, for consistency
- Mix all ingredients together in mixing bowl. Add a little water at the end if the mixture is too dry. The consistency should similar to that of bread dough.
- Shake some flour onto a countertop. Take half of the mixture and form it into a ball. Put a bit more flour on top. Using a rolling pin, roll to 1/2 inch thickness or less. I made mine more like 1/4 inch thickness.
- Use a cute cookie cutter (like the bone one that I used!) and cut the shapes out. Place on cookie sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray to prevent sticking. No need to leave lots of space in between each cookie; there is no leavening agent in the mixture so they will remain the same size.
- Repeat the rolling process with the other half of the dough.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes. I flipped my cookies over after 15 minutes to allow them to get golden and crispy on both sides!
- Allow to cool on wire rack.
- Store in sealed tupperware container.